Saturday, November 9, 2013

¨Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea.¨ -John Gunther

               So I think at first, this experience was about leaving the U.S. to go somewhere new and exciting because I needed something new. And yes, it still is, but I have realized so much about my own country. From what started out as a ¨break¨ from my daily life in the U.S. has made me realize how lucky I really am.

             Yes, there are plenty of American stereotypes which at first to me seemed to be somewhat true, but I´ve realized that a culture is so much more than its stereotypes. Just because some Americans eat really unhealthily doesn´t mean that all Americans do. When people ask me what is a typical meal in the U.S., it´s really hard to answer because there isn´t one thing that we always eat. (And don´t say hamburger or hotdog even though some of you may imagine us only eating that.)

           Also, our (collectively as Americans) stereotypes of the world are sadly really limited. I feel like we aren´t as educated as we should be about other parts of the world, geography, politics, and history. I don´t even know all of the history of American. How is anyone supposed to expect me to know the history of Spain or any other country?

            I do also think that I´ve gotten more pride in my own country. Some of you might laugh because that is supposedly what we are known for. When someone says some dumb stereotype of the U.S. , it actually does bother me because I feel like what they think of us is so warped, just what they see on T.V., and what is put on T.V. shouldn´t even be put on there. I can watch Teen Mom and Jersey Shore sitting here in my living room in Madrid, Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment