Sunday, September 28, 2014

Spain, the World Leader in Organ Donations

After studying abroad in Madrid for a year, I would say that I agree that study abroad doesn’t change who you are but helps you discover yourself. Many people study abroad in college, but studying abroad in high school is less common and, in my opinion, more daring. There were about 100 students from all over the world, Germany to Hong Kong, who chose to go to Spain last year. I always found it interesting that people from all different backgrounds and places chose to do the same thing I had done.

            Personally, I expected more of a difference that there actually was. Whether you are in Spain or the U.S., there are grocery stores, class clowns, coffee machines, etc. The teenagers my age worried about the same thing every American teenager might worry about. There are difficult classes and teachers we take more seriously than others. 7,000 kilometers doesn’t change human nature.

            However, there was one major difference that stood out to me. Spain is the world leader in organ donations. This is the most generous, kind-hearted culture I have come across in my short, 17 years of life.

Not only based off of statistics, I can also attest to this from my personal experiences. After being told that I would have to leave my first host family, I was sad about the possibility of having to move to a different town and start over, and I disclosed said information to two friends. In the matter of less than a week, Marisa and Eva, my new host mother and her daughter, were there to pick up me and my crammed suitcase, a year in a bag.


I have never been able to fully thank my host family. Opening up your home to someone, especially for a year, is a lot more than a simple favor than can be correctly appreciated with a mere thank you. Spain taught me how five, benevolent strangers can become your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment