Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"How quickly things fall apart that took so long to put together"

         I am not saying that it is over yet, but I am starting to feel like it is pretty close... My passport was stamped and we received a letter from the consulate of Spain. We were so excited and assumed this must be my visa. My family and I had a celebratory dinner and planned out my going away party. Maybe two days later, AFS called and said that it was actually a rejection letter. We couldn't read it because it was very formal Spanish. They said that we should get this all worked out in a week and that I should be leaving on time. Apparently the lady who we gave the papers to forgot to send one to Spain that said I had a school. The consulate called me a week ago and said they were just waiting on an email back from the school. I emailed the school yesterday, and they replied today asking if I was going to be a teacher or a student at the school. This seems promising. We have two business days left to get this done because the visa has to be her 72 hours before my departure. We will get an email if it ships out, so if it ships by Friday, we should be in good shape.

           I'm not quite sure what will happen if I don't get my visa on time. I guess I would leave as a late departure, but I'm not sure how all that would work out. I just hope it gets here in time, so I won't have to worry about all that. 

On a lighter note, I had my going away party Sunday night. We had it at our family's favorite Thai restaurant here. We had about 35 people, from family to friends. It was great to see everybody before I left. We had mini-cupcakes in the shape and color of the Spain flag with baby Spain flags in them. 

           My host mom and host dad now have a group chat. It's really funny because we are all becoming so close. I'm just casually texting my family throughout the day, and it can become quite comical. 

         
We Skyped the other day, and the connection kept messing up. They couldn't figure out how to say that the screen was frozen in English, so I thought I said it in Spanish. They died laughing, and I just assumed that frozen did not translate very well. Later that night, I was thinking about it and realized I told them the screen was boiling. You can't make this stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment