Monday, September 16, 2013

"I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself." ~James Baldwin

My first real day of school was today. Before, I had 3 days of school just for one hour to get used to it and find schedule and level and more. 

Wednesday, my first day of school for one hour, was okay. My host dad told the teacher to introduce me to the class, but he didn't. I couldn't understand much of what he said actually. All I know is we had to take a pretest for Spanish literature and I couldn't read it or anything, so he told me to write on a piece of paper just about myself. Everyone in my class knew that I was American or British or didn't speak Spanish or something.
My parents had pre-informed me that it was okay if I wanted to grab a coffee with some friends afterwards. Mind you, I had just moved to this new city and didn't have any friends and was desperate to talk to people older that 5 and less than in their 30s. So after class, I was expecting people to want to talk to me, being that I am this weird but intriguing foreigner, but nada. One person asked me where I was from but didn't seem especially interested to continue the conversation. I didn't want to leave the school without friends, so I went to a group of people and pretended like I didn't understand that we could leave after the first hour. They had fun using their English with me but still no coffee dates. They showed me some girls that were just now leaving the school and I got coffee with them. Mission accomplished! 
Within 15 minutes, I felt like I had known them forever and in the following days, we continued to go to each-others houses and get more coffee and whatever else. It's a group in total of like 6 girls, but they are all in the class of Letras and I'm in Sciences. 
For the 3 days of only 1 hour of school, we had the same teacher everyday. Honestly, I have no idea what he is saying. All I know that he is hilarious to the rest of the class, but I don't understand the jokes. I also think he cusses a lot, but that could just be my imagination. 
So today I actually had different teachers and could understand everything they said. Well not every single word, but I could understand what they meant. It especially helps when the person's voice isn't very deep. 
I've also noticed that I can now understand my family. At first, I couldn't understand much because the different voices (especially the niñas), but now I can basically understand everything. It definitely helps to understand something when you want to understand it or be understood. 
First coffee date
Las chicas minus some 
Parque de Europa 
Fashion Night in Madrid
"London Tower"
Another coffee date
Mi café


No comments:

Post a Comment